White Sofa Slipcover And A Mantle Change

Common GroundI am slowly adding more white to my home.A while ago I added a new slip cover to our dated sofa in our den.Not ready to share photos of the den just yet.After adding it I started to wonder what it would look like if I put in on our leather/fabric sofa in our family room.I knew it was not the exact size.But I wanted to give it a test drive to see if I would like it.

I really had to work with the arms to make this fit.It is a tad small.This is a much lighter color than my slipcover is in our living room HERE.
It’s more of a creamy white.Those pillows are just old feed sacks I stuffed the sofa pillows in.
I love the bright look.But I am not sure if this color is going to work for me in this room.I am a bit of a neat freak.Yep I admit it.
And although I hear people say you can just take this off and wash it.I am wondering how often I would do it because it’s sort of a pain to put this on.And as you can see it is a bit wrinkled.But maybe I am being to fussy??
I am going to leave it this way for a bit more and see if I can live with it.

As you can see I have plenty of brown in this room.And those chairs are not going anywhere soon.Sometimes you have to work with what you have.These are Mr. Cottage’s and my chairs we enjoy watching TV from. And they are quite comfy too!
As you can see we use those French nesting tables.Mr. Cottage likes the larger one.I know it may look a bit crowded.But I am keeping it real this is how it normally looks.
As you can see I changed the mantle a bit too.

I decided to try displaying those faux antlers.I have had them since the summer.But was waiting to use them with my winter decor.I had a hard time figuring out how to stage these.And finally decided they look the best placed in this French ironstone pitcher.

The color really works well with my mantle.

It’s a cold day here but the sun is out! Oh so happy the sun is out.Getting ready for the Redskins game today.I think I’ll take the living room Christmas tree down tomorrow.
Between Naps on the Porch
Coastal Charm
Cedar Hill Ranch Cow Girl up
Elizabeth & co
Shades of Amber
Primp junktion:Primp your stuff
Knick of time
From my front porch to yours
Embracing Change
No minimalist Here
The Brambleberry Cottage
Timewashed:Blissful Whites
The Vintage Farmhouse

Comments

I made white slipcovers last summer and I love them. BUT…
    Although you can just throw them in the wash, I can’t wash everything at the same time. The sofa slip is a load in itself. Then there are the cushion, pillows and the chair to be washed too. It takes 2 days to get everything washed and returned to normalcy. I wondered why they seemed to get dirty so much faster than my beige floral I realized the floral was just as dirty, it just wasn’t so apparent.

I love that you have an old headboard in front of your fireplace! I do that too. =) Actually, right now there’s a rusty gate there but I change it when I come across some new/old thing that will work.

Blessings… Polly
    p.s. Thank you so much for joining the Lovely Blogs collection!!

I love your beautiful white home! The mantle is gorgeous!! I think the brown chairs just give the room a pop of color that it needed. I don’t blame you when you have a comfortable chair , its just not the right thing to do to get rid of it.

I love the way it looks, Anne. I think your brown chairs add a cozy warmth to your room and look great with your whites! I have one piece of furniture in my house that I truly feel hostile toward (haha) and it’s a PIECE of a chocolate brown sectional in my living room. It’s not even the color, it’s SO uncomfortable and the shape makes it impossible to keep a cover on (I’ve tried). Oh well, maybe this will be my year for a new sofa :) I’m loving all your recent posts, and congrats on your feature at Cowgirl Up!

Jeanette

Everything looks great, Anne. I’m all about working with what you have. I like the brown chairs, they look very comfortable, and ground the room. The faux antlers work perfectly with your decor as well.

Anne- I don’t think it looks crowded at all. It looks great. I think the slip cover looks wonderful but it is too bad it is so hard to get off and on. Maybe, though, it will be easier to have it stay tucked tight and not get so messy looking if it fits tight.
    I am too much of a perfectionist with these things sometimes, too. ugh- Have a great Sunday- xo Diana

My tree is still up too, I always leave it up until the 7th for Russian Christmas, so it will come down on the 8th! I so want a slipcover for my couch but the only one that would fit it is Pottery Barn and hate spending money for it. Yours looks wonderful!

Thanks for that comment. I was considering white slipcovers but I would not like the wrinkles either. I guess they would have to be made out of white denim or some other really stiff fabric.

Your room looks lovely!

xox

Hi Anne,
    I had to come over and visit my newest blog friend! What a lovely, dreamy home you have! Your rooms are so comfy and soft looking, yet inviting! And I love the fact that you are real and using what you to have to create your Home!
    Hope you will come by often!
    Be Blessed!
    Lorena

The wrinkles drive me crazy too. But I love slipcovers. I just go a little bonkers making sure they are smooth.
    I love you pillows and the nesting tables.

I like the slipcover and have been toying with the idea myself. Love your antlers on the mantel! I’ve got an actual deer mount coming my way and I’ve got to figure out where he’s going to live. :@

Hi Anne,
    You know me and slipcovers!!! I love them. Mine are made out of a heavy weight 12oz denium so no wrinkles. I was worried about white with the hubby and basset hound that like to lay on the slipcovred sectional but so far so good. I am a big neat freak too!!! Only have washed it once in the 6 months I have had it. It is a big process to wash but it came out wrinkle free and pretty. I love your recliners as you know I have been on the hunt for one to match my whites for the hubby. I like the leather with the whites so thanks for sharing that look. I love that room so much. Very bright and pretty.

So pretty,
    I have a recliner that is a different fabric print in the exact colors and nearly identical chair…the back on mine is rounder…I should try a slip cover until I can get a new sofa…It looks so bad we put it in the room we watch movies in, it still needs a slip cover…You home is so pretty! Thanks for sharing with us!
    Hearts,
    Betsy

I really do love that mantel! And I think your slipcovered couch looks great! The grainsack covers are fabulous! I have the Pottery Barn drop cloth cover for my couch, but I never use it.. It feels cold and uncomfortable to me. I think I would like the Ikea ektorp better. :) Oh, the antique store I go to is the big white Old Timer’s Antique Centre in Downtown Sandwich – love it! I think I’ve passed by the Elburn shop you’ve mentioned before… Just haven’t stopped in yet… One of these days.. I’m close to there.
    :) Lara

I like your brown chairs with all your white. I think a mix of masculine and feminine in a space always looks good. My husband has the ugliest recliner, but it is the most comfortable chair in the house!
    Your grain sack cushions are really cute!
    I love your mantle too! The antlers in the pitcher look great! They are such a pretty gray color!!

What a lovely room, Anne! You know, I wondered the same thing about a white slipcover in our living room with all of our children. But you know what? It is super easy to pull off, throw in the wash, bleach, and put back on again. But then again, I don’t mind the wrinkles and they fall out after a couple of days. I think your space is gorgeous – and I’m way jealous of that beautiful mantle!

~ Laura

First of all, my husband is a huge redskins fan. Hate that they lost.

Your brown chairs look familiar. I have a similar one, just as big, that will be going nowhere. Of course, I also have the brown leather sofas that we love. I will work my whites and neutrals around all of these seats because they are comfortable and we love them.

Love your whites!!

Jus found you through Knick of time. I perused your ENTIRE blog an love what you’ve done to your home. In truth I am not a white house person because we live in cold/snowy Michigan where it is cold and white outside 6 months of the year so I crave color in my home. BUT, I LOVE to see the all white homes styles of others. Great work!!

Small House / Big Sky Donna / White Oak Studio Designs / SW Michigan
    Hand-Painted Vintage Furniture Transformations
    Blog: http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com
    Facebook: donnaallgaierlamberti@facebook.com

I love slipcovers! I guess I’m used to them by now because the messy look doesn’t really bother me as much as it did when I first started using them. I gave up trying to have them pressed and perfect. You have to remember that slipcovers aren’t supposed to look like upholstered furniture anyway. I agree that they’re a pain to try to put back on though! I lay some extra cotton material on the seat of my sofa so that I just replace that if it gets dirty. It’s a huge help!

I love everything in this room, including the brown chairs….and yes, sometimes we have to live with things for awhile….but contrast is awesome look too…how about a grainsack pillow on the chairs or a light colored throw???

Visiting from Savvy Southern Style. I think your living room is beautiful, and certainly not too crowded? What, just because your husband uses one side table, and you use the smaller nesting ones by your chair? I like the white, and I like the balance that the “brown” furniture gives. It anchors the space and provides warmth and coziness that would, I think, otherwise be lacking. But I am not a fan of entire all-white decor. Brrrrrrr! Guess that is what comes from living in SE Wisconsin where it gets cold and we get blizzards, yech! If you are hankering for a white slip-cover for your sofa, I would recommend investigating having one custom made, rather than wrestling with Sure-Fit. I don’t like “sloppy” looking furniture either. I prefer tailored and neat. Comfortable, yes, cozy, yes, but also tucked in and orderly, LOL! Throws and toss pillows can add texture and color as needed. If you like the slip-covered look, perhaps one of those sofas from Ikea would do the trick, but only if you are ready to replace the sofa you already have (I wouldn’t – I like the brown!)

so happy to find your sweet blog via the party!

when you have a moment, we’d love to have you stop by to say hi!

smiles to you.

michele
    hello lovely inc.

This room looks like it stepped out from the pages of a magazine! It is gorgeous! Love those grain sack cushions and the antlers look fabulous!! Where did you find those?!

Jenna @ rainonatinroof.com

First, I don’t think the room looks crowded. Second, I love the mirror on the mantle. Third, I love the slip cover. I have several myself and yes, it’s a pain to wash them and put them on but it’s worth the work. It’s either work with the slipcovers or buy new furniture. :)

I really like your white decor.. My entire home is white and the Mr. had
    a bit of trouble accepting the day I
    took out the paint brush and started
    painting all my brown furniture..lol
    I have just made new slipcovers and
    am so happy with the cream/white.
    Your rooms are wonderful.
    Sandy

Your slipcover is amazing! I wish we could have white but with three pets and three men in the house I would be washing it everyday!;) Thanx for partying at THT.

• admin says

Thank you so much Kerryanne!Yes they are annoying when you have to keep fixing them.But they do look great!

• admin says

Thank you so much Kerryanne!
      I have to figure out how to add links so I can join parties.I tried linking and it did not work.