Winter Whites Time For Renewal

We still have our Christmas decor up.I did a simplistic look this year and even though it is still up past Christmas it is very enjoyable.We don’t take things down until after the new year.It will actually stay up until my daughter heads back to school.Mr. Cottage was shocked to hear that many people take there decor down right after Christmas.I had to fill him in on the fact that it is true!

Since my daughter is home on her school break I thought it would be a good idea to go through toys and things that she has outgrown.It was not an easy task.It never is.
She kept things that are really special to her.And she selected items to be donated to a charity so that they can be loved by someone else.Why do stuffed animals seem to multiply so much!
I am proud of her it’s never easy to look back to the past.Especially your childhood remembering things that were.

We rearranged her books and things and we are getting ready for a fresh start.Her room is next up in the projects that will be tackled in the new year.Making room for the new and parting with the old.
She is excited and I am excited for her.

This set of Florentine tables was a recent find.They were very gold a little too much for this white cottage.So I lightly brushed a coat of  Anne Sloan old white and lightly sanded them just a bit.

Roses from our local grocery market brighten things up on these dreary winter days.This is when I long for spring.
Under The Table and Dreaming: Sunday Showcase
The Farmhouse Porch
Between Naps on the Porch
No Mimimalist Here
Craftberry Bush
The Better Half:The Humble Brag Party
Nutmeg Place

Comments

Such a soft look. Luv the faded white that the tables now sport.
    Sigh… so hard packing away the memories isn’t it?? But the transition that occurs, the looking forward to the new is always such fun.
    Happy New Year to you and yours.
    I too leave my decor up until 12th night.
    Cheers, Gee

Anne- It looks beautiful and I love your set of stacked tables. I am not overly fond of the heavy gold either.

It will be fun to see your daughter’s room all done up….some things they NEVER part with!;>)

I can’t believe the sheer number of people that take things down Christmas or the day after either. Blessings- xo Diana

Happy New Year Anne… by the way… Anne is my middle name. Spelled like yours, with an E…. short for Annetta, my grandmother’s name.

Oh how I love your home. I so wish I’d gone for white before I collected so many things that are NOT white. It’s so calm and peaceful. Easy to see why it’ll stay up long past Christmas. I’ve been known to take my tree down on Christmas night. Didn’t do that this year and am actually doing the post-Christmas clean today. Everything’s all boxed up and labeled so it’ll be easier to figure out what’s what next year. I’m sure I’ll be cleaning up glitter well into May. Where it all comes from I’ll never know.

Have a wonderful time enjoying your girl while she’s on break… loveliness.

Hugs to you!
    Spence
    xo

i keep my decorations up until Petit Noel..1/6. Have always celebrated it. i love what you’ve done with those florentine stacking tables. could kick myself for selling mine at my yard sale last year! happy new year mon amie!!!

I love the Florentine tables…you did a fantastic job with them and I’m sure your daughters room will be wonderful, too. I’m looking forward to your posts.

We take our tree down in January, too…when the needles start to fall off. I just love the Christmas atmosphere, such good memories and so festive. Winter decorating has always been a challenge for me.

Wishing you a very Happy New Year! SO glad I met you through blogging this year!

XO,
    Jane

Our Christmas celebration won’t be until the end of January, so I’m glad I kept it simple, too. The house can look so bare after Christmas!

Kudos to your daughter for donating her things to charity!

My Christmas is still up too! I leave it up until after New Year, but it kills me! I am twitching so bad to take it down. Drew says it’s depressing to take it down so soon after. Gotta keep the Mr happy!!

Just found your wonderful blog via Sunday Showcase. Your winter whites are simply ethereal. Love what you did with the nesting tables. Gorgeous. I’m your newest follower.

I am yearning for spring too! I just got the tree out of the house today–it dried up so bad I am cleaning pine needles from everywhere. I am itching to do something creative. Putting away the Christmas stuff feels very uncreative :)

Love those pretty tables Anne. What a great way to soften them up. My Christmas decor is down and put away. For some reason it just doesn’t have the same “feel” after Christmas, but I’m always tempted to leave out some of the vintage ornaments.
    Happy New Year to you too:-)

I made white slipcovers for our sofa and chair in the summer, but the pillows are red and blue. As I look at your home, I am thinking that I should make white pillows for the sofa. Your home is so soothing.

Happy New Year

If I would of found some gold tables first thing I would of done would of been to paint them too. Love them white washed as you have done. Just lovely. Happy new year to you. Pretty roses too.

xo
    Danielle

Anne , your tables are beautiful now that you painted them white. I have some gold frames that are very pretty except for the gold coloring. I am going to paint them sometime in the new years. I will most likely go with my beloved oil rubbed bronze. We have egg shell white walls so white frames just kind of blend into the walls.

I love how those Florentine tables turned out! I have a set of 3 too, but never thought to paint them like that. My outdoor Christmas decorations are still up. It has been raining all day, otherwise they would’ve been taken down by now. I do like to have my Christmas decorations up a few days past Christmas, but then I’m ready to get my house back in order. I say, do whatever you and your family are comfortable with. Many people leave them up till Jan. 6th (the ephiphany).

It is hard going through things, and figuring out what to let go of. But it feels good to declutter and make way for the new. Your little nesting tables are soooo sweet! I have my eye on some too, and seeing yours makes me want to go scoop them up!

Cindy

Yes, it truly is true! So many take down their decorations so soon…many on the 26th! We, too, leave them up until the New Year…often until the Epiphany!

Blessings for 2013,
    Valerie

Happy New Year, Anne! This was the first year I wished I could have packed up the holiday decorations and put them away right after Christmas. However, my son is having a his girlfriend stay at our house from the 8th to the 13th and I knew she would appreciate seeing how we do things. So I squelched the urge and will be patient. Wishing you all the best for 2013!

Love those little tables and that great headboard.

I am one of those who takes down Christmas a couple of days after it’s over. I seem to always be ready to move on to the next “thing”. I really actually wish I could keep it up longer but something in me says it’s just time. How weird is that?

Have fun with your daughter until she leaves.

I adore how you are taking your daughter along through the process of preparing her room for transition! Such valuable lessons in life can’t be taught so tenderly as in the home. I adore the tier of tables and your transformation of them is exquisite!!! A change in headboard is in store for the future make~over, I spy. I’ll be watching for updates of this area!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat
    P.S. Visitng from Common Ground!